DBCYA hosts the annual wet season race series each year, with nine races (a different course each race) held over the period November to March, with a break for the festive season. Sailors can expect a lively race series, with the occasional build-up storm squall and wet season downpour. Participants then head to the clubhouse to watch the day’s action on the big screen, share some camaraderie and find out the day’s winners. Many stay on to enjoy the a-la-carte dinner options and live music on offer. Race results are determined by handicap. DBCYA welcomes all skippers and crew no matter what their experience.
The main purpose of the race series is for skippers and crew to test and develop their skills in a friendly, supported environment and to help prepare for cruising adventures.
There are three divisions for mono-hulls:
- Racing I Division – For the cruiser/racer and racing boats
- Racing II Division – For those cruisers with a slightly more competitive streak and/or faster boats
- Cruising Division – the most popular division with, as the name suggests, more emphasis on camaraderie than competition.
There is also a Multi-hull Cruising division.
There are three ways to register for a race:
- Head to the DBCYA clubhouse between 6pm and 7pm the Friday before each race for the official sign-on, where a free drink for skippers awaits. New participants are especially encouraged along on the Friday to get more info and get involved.
- Register online – you can register for one, some or all races via the online option, but please remember to report your crew list prior to each race. REGISTRATION CLOSES 5PM THE FRIDAY PRIOR TO EACH RACE. If you register after this time your registration will be missed.
- If you miss both options above, you can still register in person at the DBCYA bar between 12 noon and 6pm Saturday.
Indemnity form – all skippers and crew to complete prior to participation in the series. Hard copies also available at sign-on.
FEES AND MEMBERSHIP PARTICULARS
There is a $20 non-refundable participation fee per yacht, per race. Skippers are required to be senior members and the crew can opt for senior or social membership, depending on which club facilities they wish to use.
THE 2018 – 19 RACE DATES
RACE 1: November 4 0957 – 2.54m 1553 – 5.80m 2204 – 2.57m Course – Race #1 – 04 Nov 2018
RACE 2: November 18 0913 – 3.27m 1515 – 4.89m 2039 – 3.44m Course – Race #2 – 18 Nov 2018
RACE 3: December 2 0810 – 2.83m 1412 – 5.27m 2011 – 3.19m
RACE 4: December 16 0620 – 3.41m 1147 – 4.76m 1751 – 3.40m
RACE 5: January 13 1003 – 5.62m 1559 – 2.69m 2232 – 6.35m
STERN CHASER RACE Australia Day Sat Jan 26
RACE 6: February 10 0906 – 6.46m 1505 – 2.07m 2126 – 6.93m
RACE 7: February 24 0923 – 7.18m 1526 – 1.85m 2133 – 7.41m
RACE 8: March 10 0822 – 7.03m 1422 – 1.78m 2029 – 7.24m
RACE 9: March 24 0829 – 7.70m 1431 – 1.58m 2027 – 7.64m
Awards Presentation Night: Saturday April 6.
THE START TIMES
Refer to the ‘Notice of Race’ in the Official Race book for the start signals chart.
- Div 1 Racing 1 Start time 1315
- Div 2 Racing II Start time 1320
- Div 3 Cruising Start time 1325
- Div 4 Multi-hulls Start time 1330
Australia Day Fun
The annual Stern chaser Race, held on 26 January each year, is a fun Australia Day Event where the start is staggered based on handicap, so first over the finish line wins!
Connect with Crew with SailConnect
DBCYA’s wet season races are loaded up onto this new app, designed to make connecting and communicating with crew a breeze.
Download the SailConnect app today and explore the benefits.
Before starting your trip, get the most up to date marine forecast from the Bureau of Meteorology.
Do the ‘5 Vital Weather Safety Checks’ when planning your boating trip:
Read more information about how to use the five vital weather safety checks.
Local marine weather information