DBCYA hosts the annual wet season race series each year, with nine races (a different course each race) held over the period November to March, with a break for the festive season. Sailors can expect a lively race series, with the occasional build-up storm squall and wet season downpour. Participants then head to the clubhouse to watch the day’s action on the big screen, share some camaraderie and find out the day’s winners. Many stay on to enjoy the a-la-carte dinner options and live music on offer. Race results are determined by handicap. DBCYA welcomes all skippers and crew no matter what their experience.
The main purpose of the race series is for skippers and crew to test and develop their skills in a friendly, supported environment and to help prepare for cruising adventures.
2019 – 20 racebook available Oct 2019 2018 – 2019 Official Race Book
There are three divisions for mono-hulls:
- Racing I Division – For the cruiser/racer and racing boats
- Racing II Division – For those cruisers with a slightly more competitive streak and/or faster boats
- Cruising Division – the most popular division with, as the name suggests, more emphasis on camaraderie than competition.
There is also a Multi-hull Cruising division.
There are three ways to register for a race:
- Head to the DBCYA clubhouse between 6pm and 7pm the Friday before each race for the official sign-on, where a free drink for the skipper awaits. New participants are especially encouraged along on the Friday to get more info and get involved.
- Register online – you can register for one, some or all races via the online option, but please remember to report your crew list prior to each race. REGISTRATION CLOSES 5PM THE FRIDAY PRIOR TO EACH RACE. If you register after this time your registration will be missed. Online Registration Link for 2019-20 series available Oct 2019
- If you miss both options above, you can still register in person at the DBCYA bar between 12 noon and 6pm Saturday.
Indemnity form – all skippers and crew to complete prior to participation in the series. Hard copies also available at sign-on.
FEES AND MEMBERSHIP PARTICULARS
There is a $20 non-refundable participation fee per yacht, per race. Skippers are required to be senior members and the crew can opt for senior or social membership, depending on which club facilities they wish to use.
2019 – 20 RACE DATES
RACE 1: November 3
RACE 2: November 17
RACE 3: December 1
RACE 4: January 19
Australia Day Sat Jan 26 NOTE: Early start
RACE 5: February 02
RACE 6: February 16
RACE 7: March 01
RACE 8: March 15
RACE 9: March 29
Awards Presentation Night: Saturday 04 April 2020.
THE 2018-19 SEASON HAS NOW CONCLUDED – THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED. CLICK HERE FOR OVERALL RESULTS
THE START TIMES
Refer to the ‘Notice of Race’ in the Official Race book for the start signals chart.
- Div 1 Racing 1 Start time 1315
- Div 2 Racing II Start time 1320
- Div 3 Cruising Start time 1325
- Div 4 Multi-hulls Start time 1330
Australia Day Fun
The annual Stern chaser Race, held on 26 January each year, is a fun Australia Day Event where the start is staggered based on handicap, so first over the finish line wins!
Connect with Crew with SailConnect
DBCYA’s wet season races are loaded up onto this new app, designed to make connecting and communicating with crew a breeze.
Download the SailConnect app today and explore the benefits.
Before starting your trip, get the most up to date marine forecast from the Bureau of Meteorology.
Do the ‘5 Vital Weather Safety Checks’ when planning your boating trip:
Read more information about how to use the five vital weather safety checks.
Local marine weather information